Italian egg drop soup (stracchiatella). Stracciatella, an Italian version of egg drop soup, is made for days like these. "Stracciatella" means "little shred" in Italian, which well describes the "shreds" of egg in this light, nourishing soup. Stracciatella "Italian Egg Drop Soup" This soup is fantastic winter soup that will cure everything from the Keto Flu to a hangover and anything that ails. How to make Stracciatella, an Italian Egg Drop Soup.
We added pasta, chickpeas and arugula to turn it into a meal. Serve with: Garlic bread and Caesar salad. It's incredibly simple to make and is perfect on chilly days. You can have Italian egg drop soup (stracchiatella) using 4 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Italian egg drop soup (stracchiatella)
- You need 3 cups of good chicken stock.
- Prepare 2 of eggs.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Italian style bread crumbs.
- It’s 1/2 cup of grated pecorino Romano cheese.
Leave it to the Italians to have beautiful words for even the most unglamorous of concepts. "Stracciatella" (strah-chi-ah-tay-lah) literally means "rags" in Italian. Stracciatella alla romana is the egg drop soup of Italian cooking. It starts with a rich meat broth (either chicken or beef), into which a beaten mixture of whole eggs and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano is streamed in to form tiny, light, and flavorful clouds. A bit of fresh nutmeg and lemon complete the.
Italian egg drop soup (stracchiatella) instructions
- Bring chicken stock to a boil on your stove top. ( I make my own chicken stock according to my nonis recipe but, you can use any flavor or store bought stock, broth, or bullion.).
- While your waiting for your stock to boil, crack and scramble your eggs with a tbsp of water, then add your bread crumbs and cheese to your eggs and mix well..
- When your stock is at a boil, start pouring the egg mixture slowly, at a steady stream into the stock while stirring it w a fork to make sure you break up the egg while its hitting the stock. The egg cooks immediately..
- Let the soup boil a minute after all the egg is stirred in then, turn off the heat and your soup is ready. I like to add green onion, and a dash of hot sauce to mine along w some extra cheese. Please add whatever you like to yours. This soup taste awesome w some crunchy Italian bread broken into it or on the side with butter..
Many Italians remember eating hot stracciatella growing up. Like pastina, stracciatella is also considered an Italian "cure-all" because it instantly makes you feel better. It is perfect for the fall and winter! Stracciatella is often referred to as 'Italian egg drop soup,' which is fine, but knowing the name actually means little, torn rags or shreds works so much better metaphorically. When you've been run ragged, stracciatella is always there for you.