Egg Roll. Egg rolls are a variety of deep-fried appetizers served in American Chinese restaurants. An egg roll is a cylindrical, savory roll with shredded cabbage, chopped pork, and other fillings inside a thickly-wrapped wheat flour skin, which is fried in hot oil. Learn how to make egg rolls right at home!
These homemade egg rolls are filled with pork and vegetables, all wrapped up and fried to crispy perfection. The perfect make-ahead appetizer for any event! Egg Roll – Popular Chinese appetizer, and this recipe makes for the best egg rolls. You can cook Egg Roll using 9 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Egg Roll
- It’s 10 of whole eggs room temperature.
- You need 4 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- You need 1/2 cup of white sugar.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of mixed ground spices nutmeg & cinnamon.
- It’s Pinch of salt.
- You need 4 tablespoons of margarine or butter.
- It’s 1 cup of warm water.
- It’s of Vegetable oil for frying.
Jen shares her easy egg roll recipe (with sweet egg roll) and step-by-step picture cooking guide. Baking egg rolls definitely creates a different texture than frying, but I still liked them A LOT. I also experimented with freezing the egg rolls uncooked. After freezing I put them straight into a hot oven.
Egg Roll step by step
- Boil the eggs for some minutes until hard boiled. Check out how to make the perfect hard boiled egg. First sift the dry ingredients into a big dry bowl i.e. flour, sugar, baking powder, spices and salt..
- Add in the margarine to the dry ingredients and rub the butter into the flour with the tip of your fingers until crumbly and somewhat dry. In the centre of the flour mixture, add some water little by little. Mix the water with the flour until a dough is formed. Knead until a smooth, non-sticky elastic dough is gotten..
- Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces and roll each into balls.. Dust a flat work surface with flour and roll out the dough pieces, one at a time. Wrap each piece around an egg and roll into a ball. Repeat until each piece of dough is rolled and wrapped about an egg..
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat and fry egg rolls in batches (on low/medium heat) until golden brown and crunchy on the outside. Remove egg rolls from the oil and drain on a paper towel before serving..
- Enjoy your egg roll.
Egg rolls are so called because the wrappers (or "skins") are made with egg; spring rolls wrappers are not. Story goes that Chinese immigrants to the US came up with a spring roll recipe more acceptable. See more ideas about Egg rolls, Egg roll recipes, Recipes. These are the BEST Homemade Egg Rolls made with seasoned ground pork and fresh vegetables tightly rolled up in egg roll wrappers. Egg rolls are a classic appetizer at Chinese restaurants, but there are also many simple simple varieties to make at home yourself and enjoy anytime.