No. 1 Chicken Nanban!. Authentic Chicken Nanban recipe based on the original from Miyazaki Japan, made with fried chicken coated in a crispy egg batter marinated in a sweet and sour Chicken Nanban is always served with a side of Japanese tartar sauce, and it usually includes some thinly shredded cabbage on the side. Chicken Nanban is a regional cuisine from Miyazaki Prefecture in Kyushu Island (most southwesterly of Japan's four main islands) but now I usually serve Chicken Nanban with eggplant and bell pepper (eggplant is a must!). If you can find shiso leaves (Perilla) in Japanese or Korean supermarket, I.
Chicken nanban is an example of "yoshoku", Western style food that has been adapted to suit Japanese tastes. This succulent chicken dish originated in Miyazaki Prefecture in the far South of Japan. Topped off with rich tartar sauce, this dish is particularly nice with a side of chips or new. You can have No. 1 Chicken Nanban! using 16 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of No. 1 Chicken Nanban!
- Prepare 4 of pieces Chicken (breast or thigh meat).
- Prepare 1 of to 2 Egg.
- Prepare 1 of Plain flour.
- It’s of Nanban Vinegar:.
- You need 4 tbsp of Soy sauce.
- Prepare 6 tbsp of Sugar.
- Prepare 5 tbsp of Vinegar.
- You need 1 dash of For adults: sliced red chili pepper.
- It’s 1 tbsp of For children: ketchup.
- It’s of Tartar Sauce:.
- Prepare 2 of Boiled egg.
- You need 1/4 of Onion.
- You need 5 tbsp of Mayonnaise.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Ketchup.
- You need 1 dash of Salt.
- It’s 1 dash of Pepper.
Keep chicken floating still for a few seconds, and then flip over. Chicken nanban udon is kake udon with chicken, shiitake mushrooms, spring onion, or other ingredients added. The dish is delicious because the taste of the chicken seeps into the broth and soaks into the toppings. Another tasty addition to the mixture is boiled spinach.
No. 1 Chicken Nanban! step by step
- Cut the chicken breast into large bite-sized pieces..
- Salt and pepper the meat, and coat in flour. Next, dip the meat in a beaten egg and fry in oil. You could also slowly sauté..
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar to a saucepan and heat it to make the Nanban vinegar, or alternatively you could microwave..
- Note 1: When heating the vinegar, add small pieces of carrot, onion or ginger and simmer for an authentic taste..
- Note 2: When heating up the Nanban vinegar from Step 2, add the chili pepper for adults, or ketchup for children..
- Marinate the fried meat in Nanban vinegar..
- Finely chop the boiled egg and onions, and mix together with mayonnaise, ketchup, and salt and pepper for the tartar sauce..
- Note 3: If available, try adding finely chopped cucumber and pickles to the tartar sauce – delicious!.
- Spoon on some tartar sauce and enjoy..
- Add as much tartar sauce as you like! Feel free to pour the leftover sweet vinegar sauce on top of the tartar sauce..
Chicken Nanban is a fried chicken seasoned with Japanese sweet source and tartar source. It's a famous local dish of Miyazaki in Kyushu area. This time, I'd like to share the recipe! Let's try to… put the chicken in the Nanban vinegar sauce. Roughly mix from the bottom of the bowl.